Indian Stock Market News and Views.

How to get Tax Refunds tips

| Filed under Economy


taxrefunds large How to get Tax Refunds tipsTax time is surely tension time and most hateful time of the year for many people. Tax time is a tedious time and people often hate to fill up the questions which are too much for it. If you are working then its most likely that your company would cut down an excessive share of money from you in the name of tax, if that is the case then you need to have move on for tax refund. Its said easily but getting a Tax refund can blow your brains out particularly if you do not have the idea of whom to be contacted and how to move for it, if you are in a place where there is no ECS – electronic clearance system available then you are fixed. 

If you are planning to get your tax refunds then some points are there to be taken care off. First its important to know what is causing the delay with your refund, if you have quoted a wrong PAN number or bank account or have wrongly filed in the ward/ circle, the chances are high for a delay. If you have a Tax refund of more than Rs.5 lakhs then a delay is there which cites additional approvals. There would also be delay if you have pending litigation or any other types of issues with them. 

If you get to the NSDL Websites you can track your refund with the help of your PAN number and the year to which the refund is applicable, but as of now the service is limited to the Metros. Others will have to visit the local ward/circle to get the status of the Tax refund. You will have to fill up Form 30, with a copy of the tax return field, copy of the withholding tax certificates, proof of tax deposit as advanced tax, there are cases when you will not be getting proper response from the officer then you would have to move to the higher authority to get more clarity. 

If you find it hard then you can write a letter to the Chief Commissioner of Income Tax including the copy to the grievance cell with all the necessary documents copy like the letters written to the assessing officer, copy of the field return etc. If still you see no help in hand you can get in touch with the income tax ombudsman. RTI – Right to Information can be used to find the delay in the Tax refund process. If you have not got a response for the next 30 days after your letter then you can file RTI application in the name of the accounts officer, of the Income tax with the necessary documents and the letter copy and other documents. 

If still you have your file with no action taken even by the RTI within 40 days you could move for the first appeal in 50 days time latest. If the response is still pending you could get the help of RTI activists to move with the final appeal, do remember to keep the photocopies of everything like letters acknowledgements etc.. which were used for the whole process under your custody. You can move to the Central Information Commission for the final appeal. You can also make a claim for the intrust for your Tax refund for the period that the refund is delayed. According to the provisions of the I-T Act, the individual is entitled to get simple interest on the amount due in the return calculated at half percent for each month or part from the date of the actual payment of tax till the time refund is granted. If the amount of tax refund is less than 10% of tax then you would not be eligible for intrust. 

How was your experience with the tax refund, Voice out your experiences in the comment box.